Friday 2 March 2012

We're Making PAPER!!!!


So today Charlotte and I decided to take a trip down to ceramics and try our hand at paper making. As well as providing me with the chance to make use of the college resources I thought it would provide me with some primary research; a core understanding into the process of paper making. Don (the ceramics tutor) guided us through the process...



We were then left to our own devices and allowed the freedom to explore. We quickly ran around college to try and find some papers we could blend up into the mix.....

We used some mdf chips from a student cutting wood, mixed in with the pulp this created a rough texture....



We then used some green paper blended almost smooth. This added to the pulp worked almost like a dye a turned the page green with a green fleck from some of the larger pieces of paper still evident.

We also tried this with fresh pulp and purple paper.

Don then came an showed us a range of paper samples and how we could us laser cut letter to cut a shape out of the paper by laying it onto the mesh screen. He then showed us how you can layer another layer on top of this to create a difference in the densities of paper....


Lastly, Don demonstrated how you could the paper making process to emboss the paper.

All in all, I feel today was extremely productive and has given me a lot of scope for thought. It has made me realise that making paper may not be suitable for this project as Fedrigoni make their own paper but it could work if we were to demonstrate how different printing processes can be used on different papers. Nevertheless, it has made me realise the possibilities have to offer and that if you can conceptualise why you are making paper and makie it relate to the subject matte being presented upon the paper, it can be extremely effective.

I have got so many ideas floating around my head now that I had to get a few down on paper...

No comments:

Post a Comment