Thursday 19 May 2011

Speaking from Experience//In The Making.


After my crit on Friday, it was suggested that I re-consider the typeface I was using due to legibility issues as it was very small. However, I don't think it helped that it was a fast draft print resulting in the ink not being as dark as normal either. Nevertheless, I took what was said into consideration and tried using good old Helvetica instead.


I used Helvetica on the reverse of the card too, to see the effect it had on the legibility. In all honesty, I think it is more legible using Helvetica, however, I feel it takes away the quirky edge that the other typeface, Orator Std, has and makes it more plain. Due to my guide being aimed at students, I want to keep this quirkiness so am sticking with my original choice of typeface.


When I used Helvetica, I kept all the letters in lowercase in order to keep the edgy vibe going.




Using the Evo Booklet and the information I gathered in regards to the club Space, I began to put together the guide.


I hand cut each of the symbols.



In order to keep the guide interesting I have varied the colours of each element, allowing each card to remain a little different.


I have included information on the one link I found between the type of club and typefaces in order to keep it appealing to graphic design students. I have also tried to keep it appealing to GD students through the use of different stocks and the content of the cards in the explanations on each club night.





Making the cover! As I wanted to have the wording stencilled with a colour showing through, similar to AER20-200, I printed out the typeface and literally used it as a stencil. This also ensured precision within the cutting of the lettering.





I used geometrics shapes within my guide, as I have found that a lot of the recent graphic design I have been viewing seems to contain this! I think it is 'on-trend' and will appeal to my target audience ...first year graphic designers.


The making of the hangover guide. I wanted this to be a bulleted list, which could be ticked off if desired. I wanted to keep the mix of hand rendered and digitalised within this so decided to cut the bullets and print the writing on varied stocks which would all come together as one.



Testing the typeface size and spacing.




...finding the arrangement I wanted.


I did find it quite hard arranging my work like this because although I could play around with the arrangement before I stuck the elements down, you could never be sure on what the overall look would be. Also, once you stuck something down, that was it ...no moving it! I think this is where digital really proves best!!






The calendar of events... I sketched out what the format I wanted this to take, however, when this became digitalised and printed out, I soon realised that the space was far too restricted and that there would not be enough space for the writing in the boxes to be legible. So I came up with a new format whereby each day of the week was written with events taking place written next to it.










I really like the outcome of this, it is simple and easy to use whilst at the same time adhering to the colour scheme used throughout. 







As i wanted to incorporate a map locating each of the clubs into my guide, I decided to trace a map. I then wanted to scan this into the computer and create a map in this style. However, once I traced it I soon found that the area of Leeds I wanted to represent was far too big to be reduced to such a small scale. If i were to pin point the clubs onto this map it would be highly illegible. Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment