Wednesday 8 February 2012

Evaluation


BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
05
 Module Code  
OUGD202


 Module Title
DESIGN PRODUCTION - DIGITAL



END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME
KIRSTY FRUIN
BLOG. ADDRESS

1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
I have learnt an awful lot in this module, mainly how to use a brand new piece of software. After having never used the AfterEffects software before, I now have a basic understanding of how to use it and have been able to produce some motion graphics which would not have been possible before this module. I have been able to confidently apply the techniques I have learnt in the sessions with Mike. Documenting the sessions has proved extremely useful in this process as it acts as a log which I can then refer back to at any point. Admitedly, I am always likely to be faced with problems arising at some point but I have learnt to ask for help from either Lorraine or Mike when this does happen. Looking back from where I am now, having just produced a 60 second title sequence, back to studio brief 1 where I produced the five 5 second silent movies, it is evident that my skills have progressed considerably and demonstrates the application of my newly acquired skills throughout this module. This progression is also evdient throughout my idents, the first ident does not use techniques as advanced as the latter. Now I have learnt some of the basic skills, it is now the creative application of these skills which will enable me to produce work of intrigue. Aside from the technical aspect, I have also learnt the sheer importance of organisation. This was a key factor within this project and something which I tried to keep on top of through the use of folders and prodcing a written log of where all my files were kept (should I not remember). If I had not taken these preliminary precausions it may have resulted in documents being lost and my final resolutions not working correctly.     

2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
Learning to think about motion graphics in terms of time based graphics raher than animation has proved very interesting. I have learnt that you can take inspiration from non-digital work and produce motion graphics from this, it is not just about taking inspiration from what is out there already in motion. I feel this is a key aspect in creating some fresh motion graphics which haven’t been done before. Another aspect which has to be taken into consideration when designing is your skill ability; there is no point designing a piece of elaborate motion graphics when you do not have the skill set to produce what you are desiging. This is not to say that you cannot come up with ingeneous ideas for motion sequences but you definitely need to take into consideration what can realistically be achieved. The time available to me was another aspect that I had to take into consideration; I could easily design a sequence which was technically driven, however, if I only have a week to work on producing the design it may not be possible. I have learnt that AfterEffects eats your time away without you realising it; you soon get sucked into perfecting every detail of your design and excited to the extent that you want to continue working on the piece of production, it is therefore important to produce regular timeplans to ensure that you are using your time wisely. I have learnt the sheer importance of storybaording your work before you even get onto screen; AfterEffects is just a tool for production is does not provide you with idea generation. There really is no point sitting down to begin working on your motion graphics without having considered what you are going to include in your sequence first; you will simply be ‘filling time’ rather than producing the well thought-out design you have storyboarded. Timelining your storybaorded sequences is also an important part of the design process, as this allows you to view the artwork as being time based before it even reaches the screen. It also allows you to consdier pace within your design, something which becomes more important when you begin to design on screen as you then have an incline of where and when different transitions should occur.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
I begun working on the briefs at an early stage of the module as I didn’t want to have it all left until the end and be in a paniced state getting myself stressed. The early start was beneficial to me, although the progression of my skills is evident within my work due to this. I do, however, feel I have planned my time well through the use of regular to-do lists and weekly/daily time plans. This has ensured that I have used the time availble to me wisely and not wasted a moment. I feel the work I have produced is once again informed and conceptualised due to the extensive reseach I conducted into the Ministry of Sound identity, artwork and itself as a brand. I have taken a few trips to CD stores in order to gain primary reseach into the Ministry of Sound album artworks so that I can see them for myself and not rely entirely on secondary sources. As well as providing me with inspiration for design ideas for my sequence, this also provded me fresh inspiration for my DVD sleeve design. I have also researched into the identity MTV Dance to ensure that my idents fit in with their brand image and work realistically being aired on the channel. I have produced storyboards of possible ideas before choosing one and focusing in on it and producing further storyboards with more detail. On a technical level, I have used the techniques I learnt in my AfterEffects sessions with both Mike and Lorraine. At one point I got quite into my work which resulted in me producing an extra ident due to feeling that my original 4th ident did not fit in with the other idents I had produced. I tried to focus on the celebration of 20 years (as it was suggested to me in my crit) however, this did not seem to work amougst the other idents I had already produced so I disregarded this and set about producing a fifth one. This fifth one, I must say, was the best and most technical ident I feel I have produced. This was most probably due to me producing it later than the others and my skills having developed by that time. I think it was logical to have worked on my idents first; they seem basic now as I look back on them, nonetheless it is a demonstration of how my skills have progressed throughout this module and resulted in me being able to produce a more technically driven title sequence. 

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?
Some of my idents appear very simple and do not have an awful lot going on in them, although there is more detail in the finer transitions (fades, entering and departing transitions). Nevertheless, this simplisitc appearance fits in with the brand identity of MTV. All my idents differ slightly in some way; some contain the Ministry of Sound logo and others don’t, the binding assets are that they all contain a coloured gradient and the MTV logo present within them. I could have made them all follow the same structure, this is not necessarily a weakness of my work but I feel it may have made all my idents more coherent if this were the case. Since finishing my work, it has been pointed out to me that 1991-2012 does not represent 20 years if taken literally. It is a correct fact as they have not had there birthday yet this year but it has made me consdier in more depth the information which I present to the audience nd how they recieve it. The way in which I chose to work on this brief meant that I produced my four idents first and then used these to inform my design decisions for my title sequence. This made sense to me as it was easier to tackle 10 seconds at a time whilst I was getting used to the software and then progress onto producing the 60 second title sequence. However, after having produced my four 10 second idents I then found it a struggle to work on 60 seconds as it felt it was such long duration of time and consequently daunting. I began to think as if I were simply ‘filling time.’ In realising I was taking this approach, I took a step back and storyboarded my sequence in-depth on a timeline to give me something to work from and stop my ‘time filling’ attitude. I am not sure but it may have been benficial to me to have produced my title sequence first and then taken my idents from this. 
In addition to this, I could have attempted to go beyond what was taught to us in our AfterEffects sessions and self-teach myself techniques which will enhance my motion graphics (such as the use of cameras and lights). Despite this I am happy with what I have produced in the time given to me and the techniques taught to me. 

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1// Go beyond what is taught to me and explore other areas if it is going to be beneficial to my work. This will help me to create new and exciting pieces of work that push the boundaries of my capabilities.  
2// When working on motion graphics I will ensure that I choose my audio early enough to be able to change it if it is required. 
3// Storyboard a broader range of ideas, derived from my research, then narrow it down a worker closer on one sequence. Although I feel I did do this to an extent, I think if I had done more of this my final outcome may have been more advanced.
4// Produce more time lined storyboards, as this visual representation of motion and pace ensures a systematic approach to the production of work when in AfterEffects and allows me make an more informed decision as to which sequence I choose to animate. 
5// Source more contextual research into both motion and non-motion graphics as they both inform my design decisions. You can never have enough contextual research to aid the development of contextualised design decisions.  

6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas: 
(please indicate using an ‘x’)  
5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance




     x
Punctuality




     x
Motivation



     x

Commitment




     x
Quantity of work produced



     x
     
Quality of work produced



     x

Contribution to the group






No comments:

Post a Comment